On 29 January 2016, Amendment 2 of AS/NZS 4417.2 was published with a 12 month implementation date from the date of publication. Amendment 2 changed the risk classification and certification requirements of specific types of equipment. On 16 February 2017 Amendment 3 to AS/NZS 4417.2 delayed Level 2 equipment implementation to 1 June 2018.
A summary of the changes, include:
- Air Conditioners Incorporating Flammable Refrigerant have been increased to level 3.
- Air Conditioners Incorporating Non-Flammable or Low Flammable Refrigerant remain level 1 until 1 June 2018, after which date they become level 2.
- Building Wiring Cables have been increased to level 3.
- Double Capped Light Emitting Semiconductor Lamps (LED Tubes) have been increased to level 3.
- Luminaire – Portable Type definition remains unchanged until 1 June 2018. Any portable luminaire within this definition will remains Level 3 until that date.
- Simple Portable Luminaire is a new definition and on 1 June 2018 equipment within that definition will be classified as Level 2. Until 1 June 2018 the previous definition of Luminaire portable type applies to any simple portable luminaire that fits within that existing definition.